Did you know that berries are not only beautiful, flavourful and sweet? They are superfood! Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackcurrants etc. are very nutritious and have a long list of health benefits.Therefore, it is a good idea to include berries in your daily diet. Continue reading and discover the benefits!
Packed with vitamins and minerals
Berries are a true powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants.
A lot of berries are especially high on vitamin B, C and E, but they are also full of minerals like manganese, copper and folate.
Berries are also a good source of dietary fibres. This means that they help you feel full, so you will eat less than elsewise. This also means that you will lower your energy intake, and it will help you maintain a healthy weight.Moreover dietary fibres help your digestion and reduce the risk of lifestyle diseases like diabetes type-2 and cardiovascular disease.
Berries high content of antioxidants is associated with a reduced risk of heart disease and cancer.
5 ways to get more berries in your diet
1. Try a lot of different berries and find your own favourite. Some prefer sweet berries like blueberries or strawberries, and others like the sour blackberries better. What about you?
2. If you use frozen berries, remember to defrost them in boiling water to rinse out all bacterium before eating.
3. Instead of eating jam on your toast, try using fresh strawberries. Or what about making a delicious pure of a bag of frozen berries? This will help you reduce your sugar intake drastically.
4. Use fresh berries in your salads to add colour and flavour to the dish.
5. Try adding some frozen berries to the cake mix the next time you bake – it will add both colour, moist and flavour to your cake.
Eat them fresh or buy them frozen?
Berries are high on taste, colour and nutrients. But prolonged storage or cooking can reduce this quite a bit. Therefore it is a very good idea to eat your fresh fruit straight away or buy them frozen instead.
By using frozen berries you will reduce the loss of especially vitamin-C, that otherwise takes place over a short period of time when storing fresh fruit and berries.
Click here and try our berry recipes!