Healthy living isn’t just about going to the gym and living on a diet all the time. Actually, that is not very healthy at all… A healthy lifestyle is a lifestyle that is healthy for YOU! It’s about caring for your body and soul, and taking good decisions in the long run – so that you can live an active and long life.
Get some regular exercise, but choose something that excites you and makes you laugh. It doesn’t matter if you go to a gym, or train in your garden or basement – just get started. And make healthier choices when it comes to your diet. If you eat healthy most of the time, of course you can indulge in some not so healthy food sometimes as well.
And remember persistence is key!
There are a lot of benefits of healthy living
Minimize your risks of injury and disease
When you adopt a healthy lifestyle, you not only feel and look better, but you also experience a landslide of other health benefits. For example eating right and exercising can improve the strength of your immune system and reduce the risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes, hypertension, osteoporosis, strokes and several types of cancer. You will also get stronger and more energised, and this will help you during your day-to-day life. You simply minimise the risks of getting injured at work and elsewhere.
Increase your energy levels
Eating healthy can boost your energy levels and allow you to participate in more activities on a daily basis. It might feel exhausting in the beginning, but after just a few weeks you will feel a big difference. You will feel energised and on top of the world.
Your mental health also depends upon your healthy lifestyle choices. A healthy diet, regular exercise and good sleep can help defend against depression and will sharpen your memory and stabilise your mood.
Quote from Karina:
“My dear old dad was always a great inspiration and role-model to me. He was a very active man – took his bicycle everywhere, did gymnastics and athletics until he turned 80, worked in his garden, walked the dog and so on. He looked 20 years younger than he was, and he had more energy than anyone I know. I wanna be like that also – so I try my best every day!”
10 ways to a healthier lifestyle
There are no magic pills when it comes to long-term health and wellness. The good news: You can start making changes today that can positively affect your overall health and wellness:
1) Go for a 30-minute evening walk after dinner every night. It will help your digestion and speed up your metabolism, and the fresh air will make you sleep better afterwards. And remember to bring along your spouse and kids also; they will benefit as well…
2) Choose a form of exercise that you like. It is quite simple actually! If you don’t like running, then don’t run. Instead try swimming, cycling, dancing, walking or whatever you think is fun. Exercise should make you feel good WHEN you do it and not only afterwards.
3) Set yourself some goals. But let them be realistic and invigorating. Instead of stressing about losing five pounds try focusing on learning the right technique, improving your movements, trying new exercises, or new foods. And make a lot of short-term goals, that will help you reach your main goal. This way you will get a lot of small victories on the way to your destination, which will help keep you motivated.
4) Involve your family and friends. Tell them that you want a healthier lifestyle – and why. And let them be part of your journey.
5) Get some sleep! The body’s self-repair takes place when you are asleep. Memory consolidation and appetite regulation also occur during this time of reduced physical activity. It is recommended to get seven to nine hours of sleep every night. And remember that the hours from 22.00 to 02.00 are especially important.
6) Reduce your intake of sugar and refined carbohydrates – ie candy, cake, white bread, pasta, sodas, etc. Instead go for the complex carbohydrates that release energy slowly into your bloodstream: vegetables, legumes, berries, whole grain
Did you know?
That 30 minutes’ exercise every day is enough to get significant improvements in overall health?
That music improves your performance? It is said that listening to music while exercising can improve your work-out performance by up to 15%.
Good nutrition, daily exercise and adequate sleep are the foundations for continuing good health?
That everyone can gain the health benefits of physical activity? Age, gender, ethnicity, shape or size do not matter. So get up and get going.