Did you know, that berries are not only beautiful, flavourful and sweet? Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackcurrants etc. are also very nutritious and have a long list of health benefits. Therefore it is quite a good idea to include some in your daily diet.
Packed with vitamins and minerals
A lot of berries are especially high on vitamin B, C and E, but they are also full of minerals like manganese, copper and folate.
Berries are high in fibre
Berries are a good source of dietary fibres. This means that they help you feel full, so you will eat less than elsewise. This also means that you will lower your energy intake, and it will help you maintain a healthy weight.
Moreover dietary fibres help your digestion and reduce the risk of lifestyle diseases like diabetes type-2 and cardiovascular disease.
Quote from Karina:
“At my house we eat a lot of berries! My daughter absolutely loves berries, and her favourites are raspberries and blueberries. So she usually gets some sprinkled on her breakfast and in her lunch box. But I try to keep it at no more than 100-150 gram per day, because she also needs space for other foods. Variation is key!"
5 ways to get a barrier life
1. Try a lot of different berries and find your own favourite. Some prefer sweet berries like blueberries or strawberries, and others like the sour blackberries better. What about you?
2. If you use frozen berries, remember to defrost them in boiling water to rinse out all bacterium before eating.
3. Instead of eating jam on your toast, try using fresh strawberries. Or what about making a delicious pure of a bag of frozen berries? This will help you reduce your sugar intake drastically.
4. Use fresh berries in your salads to add colour and flavour to the dish.
5. Try adding some frozen berries to the cake mix the next time you bake – it will add both colour, moist and flavour to your cake.
Eat them fresh or buy them frozen?
Berries are high on taste, colour and nutrients. But prolonged storage or cooking can reduce this quite a bit. Therefore it is a very good idea to eat your fresh fruit straight away, or buy them frozen instead. By using frozen berries you will reduce the loss of especially vitamin-C, that otherwise takes place over a short period of time when storing fresh fruit and berries.
Did you know
That berries may help prevent or reduce wrinkles? Because of the high amount of antioxidants in berries they help fight free radicals that are known to cause skin damage.
That a legend says, that if you find a double strawberry and break it in half and share it with someone, you will soon fall in love with each other?
Berries are loaded with antioxidants