Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Empanadas
Ready in 20 min.
- 200 g Emborg butter cut into cubes and chilled
- 360 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 80 ml ice-cold water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 shiitake mushrooms chopped
- 500 g chicken thigh fillet chopped
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 200 g Emborg Shredded Mozzarella
- 2 egg yolks
- 45 ml oil
With its cheesy and flavourful filling encased in a crispy pastry crust, our Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Empanadas are a sure crowd-pleaser.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ℃. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- For the dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Put in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Gradually add the ice-cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together. Rest the dough in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- For the filling: In a pan, heat the oil and sauté the garlic and shiitake mushrooms until fragrant. Add the chicken and cook until browned. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Set aside to cool.
- On a flour-dusted surface, roll out the chilled dough to about ⅛ inch thickness. Cut into 8-inch discs using a cookie cutter or a bowl.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the chicken filling prepared above onto one half of each disc. Sprinkle a generous amount of Emborg Shredded Mozzarella on top. Fold the other half of the disc over the filling to create a half-moon shape. Seal the edges by pressing down with a fork. Prick the centre of each empanada with a fork to allow steam to escape during the cooking process.
- Brush each empanada with egg yolk and bake for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown and the dough is fully cooked.
- Serve hot and enjoy!