Cheesy Sardine Bake
Ready in 30 min.
- 5 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 Potatoes, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 Yellow onion, cut into thick strips
- 3 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 Shallots, thinly sliced
- 10 g (1 inch) Ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Chilli paste (rehydrated dried chillies)
- 1 tbs Fish curry powder
- 10 Curry leaves
- 1 can (215 g) Sardines in tomato sauce, bones removed
- Salt, to taste
- Sugar, to taste
- Sweet soy sauce (Kicap manis), to taste
- Oyster sauce, to taste
- 2 Cili padi, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Tamarind (Air asam jawa)
- ½ Lime, to taste
- 100 g Emborg 3 Cheese Bake
Want to learn the perfect way to turn your everyday canned sardines into a gourmet meal? Try this Cheesy Sardine Bake!
- In a wok, heat the cooking oil on medium heat and fry the potatoes until lightly browned. Remove and set aside the potatoes.
- Add the finely sliced garlic, shallots, and ginger, and fry until lightly browned. Then, add the chilli paste and stir-fry until the whole mixture is slightly darkened and reduced (pecah minyak); it should take about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the curry powder and curry leaves. Stir-fry until the curry leaves are wilted and the curry powder loses its raw smell and taste; it should take about 1 minute.
- Then add the liquid from the tinned sardines to thin out the paste and add back in the fried potatoes along with the yellow onion and tinned sardines. Add water as needed and bring it to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, covered.
- Season with sweet soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, sugar, cili padi, and tamarind. Stir or swirl the pan to mix. Add a spritz of lime juice and turn off the heat. Transfer into an oven-safe dish.
- Top with Emborg 3 Cheese Bake and bake in the oven at 200°C for 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy.