Pandan Gula Melaka Sandwich Cookies
Time: 3 hours
- 120 g powdered sugar
- 240 g Emborg Cook & Bake softened
- 360 g AP flour
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 45 g pandan leaves
- 125 g water
- 225 g Emborg Cook & Bake softened
- 454 g powdered sugar
- 45 ml Emborg Whipping Cream
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 90 g gula melaka (palm sugar) shaved
Pandan and gula melaka are quintessential sweet flavours, and this recipe highlights them in snackable cookie form that’s great for any festive season!
- Make the pandan extract by blending the pandan leaves and water together. Strain out the solids and let the mixture sit for a few hours. Then, scoop out the water from the top of mixture to leave behind a concentrated pandan extract.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the Emborg Cook & Bake and sugar together. Once combined, add the egg yolks and pandan extract and continue beating until smooth.
- Add the flour and salt to the mixer, little by little. Scrape down the sides periodically to ensure that everything gets mixed in.
- Once a dough is formed, divide into two and form into discs. Wrap them in plastic wrap and keep them chilled for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper until it is 0.5cm thick.
- Using a floured embossed rolling pin, perform one continuous roll on the dough, with just enough pressure to leave an imprint.
- Cut out circles from the dough with a 5cm cookie cutter. Remove the excess dough – you can wrap this excess dough in cling wrap and store it in the chiller ready to re-roll to make another batch of cookies.
- Place the cut-out dough circles on a sheet of parchment paper on a sheet pan and put in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Slide off the cookie circles and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking tray. You don't need much space between the cookie circles as they do not spread as they bake.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C for 8–10 minutes until set.
- Transfer onto a cooling rack to cool.
- To make the buttercream: In a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the Emborg Cook & Bake and salt together.
- Then, sift in powdered sugar bit by bit while the mixer is running on low speed. Scrape down the sides periodically to mix in evenly.
- Add the Emborg Whipping Cream to thin out the mixture slightly and, lastly, mix in the gula melaka. Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag.
- To assemble the cookies, spread about 1 tbsp of the buttercream between the undecorated sides of the cookie circles. Store in an airtight cookie jar.
Serve and enjoy!