Rendang Halal Snack Pack
Ready in 1 hour
- 120 g shallots
- 20 g garlic
- 50 g ginger
- 20 g fresh turmeric
- 45 g galangal
- 20 g lemongrass
- 80 g dried red chillies deseeded and rehydrated in hot water
- some water to help blend
- 250g Emborg Cook & Bake
- 1 kg beef tenderloin cut into 1 cm-wide slices
- 8 g coriander seed powder
- 7 g cumin powder
- 7 g fennel seeds powder
- 1 kg freshly squeezed coconut cream
- 90 g gula melaka
- 60 g kerisik
- 15 g fresh kunyit leaves
- 4 g asam keping (dried tamarind slice)
- 2 pcs kaffir lime leaf
- salt to taste
- OTHER INGREDIENTS
- 1 bag Emborg Straight Cut French Fries
- Emborg Mozzarella Shredded
- chilli sauce
- BBQ sauce
- youm (pre-made)
- oil for frying
- salt to taste
- fresh kunyit leaves finely sliced
If you're looking for a late-night snack, and you've got extra rendang, make this halal snack pack. The original HSP – fries topped with doner kebab meat plus cheese and a ton of sauce – was invented in Melbourne. Instead of regular rice or lemang, give this a try with your rendang!
- Start by blending all the ingredients for the paste.
- In a wok, melt the Emborg Cook & Bake on a high heat. Once melted, add the blended ingredients and stir often until the paste has dried out and small pockets of oil have risen to the surface (pecah minyak).
- Add the beef and stir to coat, then add the powdered spices and a small splash of water. Leave to simmer and reduce slightly for about 5 minutes to infuse the spices.
- Then, add the coconut cream, gula melaka and asam keping. Continue simmering away and reducing until the beef is tender and the paste has thickened, about 15–20 minutes. The colour of the paste should have turned a deeper reddish-brown by the end of this process.
- Season with salt and add kerisik, kaffir lime leaf and asam keping. Simmer for another minute or two to infuse the aromatics, adjust the consistency by either reducing further or adding a little water to thin it out – and the rendang is done.
- For the fries, deep-fry them in oil at 175°C for 3–4 minutes. Then, transfer them to a big metal bowl and toss with salt to taste.
- To assemble: Layer fries at the bottom of your serving plate. Top with hot rendang and immediately add the mozzarella on top to help the cheese melt. Using squeeze bottles, drizzle over the cheese with chilli sauce, toum and BBQ sauce. Top with fresh kunyit leaves and serve!