Spinach & Cheese Fatayer with Labneh
- Homemade Dough:
- 4 2/4 tsp Dry Yeast
- 5 dl Lukewarm Water
- 750 g All-purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 dl Canola Oil
- Spinach Fatayer:
- 450 g frozen Emborg Whole Leaf Spinach
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 large Onion
- 2 tbsp Sumac
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 40 g Pine Nuts
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
- Cheese Fatayer:
- 5 dl Emborg Greek Style Cheese
- 1 dl Parsley
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Oil
Fatayer is a classic Middle Eastern hit among both kids and adults, so it is a absolute must for any great dinner or lunch. Try serving it with fresh Labneh dip on the side.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast in lukewarm water and stir. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Gradually stir in the oil, followed by the yeast water until dough comes together. Mix well.
- On a lightly greased countertop, knead the dough until smooth. Place in large bowl, cover, and let rest for 1–2 hours until doubled in size.
- Thaw Emborg Whole Leaf Spinach and squeeze out as much water as you can. Then mix salt into the spinach. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place finely chopped onion in a large bowl with sumac, paprika and black pepper.
- Squeeze moisture out of the rested spinach again and mix in the bowl with onions and spices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and pomegranate molasses. Combine with spinach mixture immediately before assembling.
- Mix together crumbled Emborg Greek Style Cheese, finely chopped parsley, oil and a pinch of black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 190˚C. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- On a large, floured countertop, roll ¼ of the dough into a 3 mm thin sheet. Cut out 9 cm wide round circles of dough.
- Place 1 tbsp of the cheese filling in the centre of half of the circles and 1 tbsp of spinach filling in the other half of the circle, being careful to not let it touch the edges.
- To close the Spinach Fatayer, start by topping with a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts. Pull up three edges of the circle over the centre of the filling and pinch well to seal.
- To close the Cheese Fatayer, start by pinching the edges up, turning the flaps outwards, making a hole in the middle and closed-up sides.
- Brush the tops of all assembled Fatayer with olive oil and bake for about 15–20 minutes in the oven until golden.
- Repeat process with remaining ¾ dough.
- Serve warm from the oven or at room temperature with fresh Labneh - find recipe here.
Tip: You can also use 6 packs of store-bought ready-to-use pizza dough instead of making the dough yourself.