Traditional Checkerboard Cookies
Take 1 hour
- 2 ½ dl Emborg Butter softened
- 1 ¼ dl Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Lemon extract
- 6 dl Plain flour sifted
- 3 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 large Egg whisked with 1 tbsp Water
Have fun making these fun checkerboard cookies for your next party. This is a great opportunity to play with your cooking and impress your guests.
- Mix the Emborg Butter and sugar together with a mixer until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and lemon extract, and gradually add the flour while mixing at low speed.
- Place the dough onto a clean surface and knead for 2 minutes. Divide the dough into two equal portions.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder over one of the dough portions. Knead the dough until well mixed.
- For each dough portion, place it between 2 sheets of cling wrap or baking paper. Use a rolling pin to shape each dough into 18 cm squares, about 1 cm thick. With a sharp knife, slice each square to 2 cm-wide long strips.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place plastic wrap on the work surface. Place 1 white dough strip between 2 strips of chocolate dough strips on the plastic. Brush egg wash on the top and in between the strips. Press the strips together gently.
- Add the second layer by alternating the colours and brush with the egg wash. Repeat again to finish the third layer with 2 chocolate strips and 1 white strip. Wrap the dough log in plastic.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Slice each cookie log into 5–6 mm thick slices and place them on the lined baking tray. Bake for 10–12 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the cookies on a wire rack until completely cooled.
Serve the festive cookies with your favourite drinks.